UNDER CONSTRUCTION, I am not finished with it, but feel there is enough meat to start putting it on the web. See this as work in progress.
Fochville could be called a mining town, but this is not how it started. It was established in 1920 to serve as an agricultural centre. The gold mines of Carletonville only came later in the 50th of last century. Its location: 26.4927°S, 27.4949°E and 1474m altitude.
That is the Nederduitsch Hervormte Kerk, one of the sister churches first established in Potchefstroom.
Members of the NH church living in the area were members of the Potchefstroom congregation. With the establishment of the town Fochville the numbers became strong enough to think about forming a new congregation by ceding from Potchefstroom. The new congregation of Losberg was officially established on 16 May 1925.
Initially, they used an existing church constructed from corrugated iron sheeting. The source (Ref 3) is not very clear where the church suddenly came from. One has to assume that it was there from earlier times to serve the sub-congregation of Losberg. In the source, it is stated that they requested the Potchefstroom church council to use this building.
The congregation went to work making improvements to the building, including the installation of electric light. Already in 1933, the church council started thinking about building a new, bigger church. A building fund was started. The foundation stone was laid on 17 September 1937 and the inauguration was on 14 January 1938. Architects were Geers & Geers and the builders JG Enslin & Seun.
When the congregation of the NH church was started there was a concern that some of it's members would change over to that church. Thus efforts where being made to form a new congregation which was to be known as the Losberg congregation. 1931 a church hall was built in Fochville, just over the road across from the present church. This served the local community as church. Eventual the congregation was officially formed in 1935, it was achieved by ceding from the mainly Mooiriver and Potchefstroom congregation, and by also getting pieces from Roodeport and Vereeniging.
Planning to build a church was under discussion already in 1938, a building fund was started in 1943. Actual building was started in 1952 and the inauguration was on 29 May 1953. The archidect was Hendrik Vermooten. Building costs were £19720 plus cost of interior and other incidental expediture brought the total to £28000.
Ref 1: Standard Encyclopedia of Southern Africa, Nasou Limited, 1974
Ref 2: Halfeeufees N.G.Kerk Losberg, 1985
Ref 3: Fyftig Jaar Gemeente Losberg, Ned.Herv.Weeshuispers, 1975
Ref 4.: Elize Sonja van Eeden, "DIE GESKIEDENIS VAN DIE GATSRAND-VANAFDIE VESTIGING VAN DIE TREKKERGEMEENSKAP OMSTREEKS 1839 TOT DIE PROKLAMERING VAN CARLETONVILLE IN 1948", Verhandeling goedgekeur vir die graad MAGISTER ARTIUM in GESKIEDENIS in die FAKULTEIT LETTERE EN WYSBEGEERTE van die POTCHEFSTROOMSE UNIVERSITEIT VIR CHRISTELIKE HOER ONDERWYS